Thursday, October 13, 2005

trick or treat

I've been trying to put off writing this post, but now I 'have time' to do it. And figure you may need to hear this as we go into our times of what the world calls holiday season of Halloween.
Growing up, we used to dress up in our favorite costumes, go door to door, asking folks for candy. Tricks or treats... but mainly treats we hoped. I remember a time I put on my brother black mask, of some sort of zombie demon. Got on my bike on the front porch and waited for the neighbor kids to come outside. (as I write this, i can't help but laugh) Brad stood inside at the window and watched, and they came out. I screamed at the top of my voice and road my bike down the sidewalk, jumped the curb and headed straight at them. You should have seen their faces. Terror like nothing I had ever seen before. And when they turned to run, they ran like the old movies put on fast forward, accompanied by the player piano. Literally, scared to death. Well, I decided after seeing their 4 year old faces in terror, I should go to the back and let them know it was just me. However, I don't remember anything past that. It was funny at the time, and even looking back, but the horror involved in their minds is probably not something a flowerer of Jesus Christ can be proud of.
So what?! Well, the last few years I have come to realize how real Spiritual warfare is in our lives. Whether we choose to see it or not. Whether we want to believe it. Its there. The devil is real, and he has angels, demons and forces who work for him. Just like our God has angels, the Holy Spirit, Jesus and a "great cloud of witnesses" working for Him. Maybe I can blame Joe Beam for this revealed reality, but I appreciate the work he's done to open our eyes to "See the Unseen". In his book, and listening to his seminars on the subject, I have concluded that Halloween is not a day to "celebrate" as the world celebrates it. I enjoy the times with my family, dressing up in costumes and going to church for little Trunk o' Treat time. It's there that we don't see any ghosts, goblins, witches, demons, devils, draculas, nothing. Those beings are not something to relate to, at least to me. Our department is putting on a "festival" for Oct.31st and it was decided to have some sort of film festival. Yesterday, someone asked me if I wanted to help out as an actor for the short film. (some horror film competition) They said the only character they needed was the Doctor from Hell, or the devil. I immediately said, ohhh no thank you. She asked me if it was against my religion, jokingly I'm sure. At which point I replied, I do not wish to be like the devil, even dress up like him. No thank you.
So what are you saying Steve? I'm saying, we are to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We are to reflect the image of God and Christ in all that we do. We are to be a light on the hill. Participating in such "disguises" seems to be the opposite of what we are called. It's ok to go out and enjoy yourself with friends and family, and have a "fall festival" gathering, but I think we need to be careful at how we "dress up" and show ourselves to the world and to the Enemy of Jesus Christ.
ok... off the soap box. Have a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counteras of 11/11/05
Free Hit Counters