Saturday, April 22, 2006

the Barber shop

I was thinking today about a recent trip Jackson and I took to the barber shop. A real, old fashioned barber shop. You know the kind, sitting in the big chairs, shaving cream on your neck, and good ole conversation. But this was the first trip for Jack, and I was unsure as how he would take it. You see, our previous haircuts he would sit in my lap as the lady cut his hair. I told them to not use the clippers, b/c one time he didn't like it. I was protecting him. (Yes this is getting to a silly lesson of life)

I recall a class with Dana talking about those teachable moments in life, where should they go wrong, someone may be hurt, or learn something you don't want them too. And we find that line of protection or over-protection. It's not a care-free line, just letting our kids go out there and learn, but that day in the barber shop, I learned a valuable lesson. I was asked who wanted to cut his hair, and before I could answer, he was heading towards the lady's chair. I helped him up on the seat, and headed to my chair right next to him. He did a great job. Didn't even mind the clippers, and didn't cry, flinch or even whine about wanting down. I was so proud. It was as if he grew 3 years just sitting there. And I found a new friend in my son. And a place we are now able to go together, and share life.

So where does that bring me. I know that line. It's hard to be still, and not say anything, or want to protect someone you love from learning something new. But how do we grow, if we are not challenged with obstacles, if we are not brought into a storm, if we are not given a chance to prove ourselves, if we are not willing to be hurt.
Some very important questions... where do you fall? Where do you stand? Does it make sense?
But even more important....
Are there any of those moments in life you wish someone would have protected you from? Or have those challenges shaped you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counteras of 11/11/05
Free Hit Counters