Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hurts habits and hangups

This is how it is defined in Celebrate Recovery, those addictions, those compulsive behaviors, or anything that interferes in your relationship with the True friend and compass to all other relationships. First Colony church began its CR program last August, and I was honored to be a part of it, as well as a participant. I believe its biblical to admit, at some point or another, we need help. And who is able to help us more than the Jesus Christ. Our higher power.

So I've started a study in the Life Recovery Bible, that contains devotionals for each of the 12 steps as well as the 8 principles based upon the Beatitudes of Christ. Just your luck, I have a blog, and I'm going to share some of the study with you, so you can reflect on those hurts, habits or hangups that may be causing you to stumble.


Step 1: We admitted we are powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors and that our lives have become unmanageable. Rom 7:18 "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out". As I was reading over this step, and the verse that coincides with it, its easy to see why I can't do what is good. Because I am trying on my own. Those habits and hangups in life, that plague our walk, or put roadblocks and speedbumps in our way, all circle back to our effort, alone, to do what is good. By myself. It's tough to overcome that denial. We've all heard it before. But to look back, and recognize the mess that has happened, the lack of power to control any situation, should begin to help us refocus what may need to change. It's not that we don't want to do good, but it's the methods we are using to do good are derived solely on our own power.

Simply put, step 1... holy cow I'm a mess. What is going on? I try and try, but for some reason it just won't work the way I want it to. Now what?
Well, let's wait for Step 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counteras of 11/11/05
Free Hit Counters