Monday, August 28, 2006

August 27, 1995

It was exactly, to the day, 11 years ago I proposed to Jennifer. It was the Sunday night before we began our senior year of college. And we went to the Sunday night devotional at Univ CC. After that, we headed off to an ice cream shop to enjoy some time together, which was a common occurrence for us. But, I had other plans.
We drove right by, and stopped at the Paramount theatre. Right out front. There was a new coffee shop or something next door, I think, that I said we were going to go try, but instead, I took Jennifers hand and we opened the door to the Paramount.. at 9:45pm. She was somewhat hesitant. Not sure of what was happening... I let her know, it was fine. Ha, have you heard that tone before?
We walked in, to a completely empty theatre, into the lower level, and there on the stage was a black grand piano, with a dozen white roses on top, and an old oil lamp giving light over the keys. We walked to the front, climbed the stairs, and I took a seat on the bench. Jennifer sat down, and I began to play an Eller original. Which means, I have no idea what it was, it was just a waterfall of chords and arpeggios up and down the keyboard. Soft, soothing sounds, within the grand environment of this beautiful place, and with someone I was hoping to spend the rest of my life with.
I finished the song, and got up. Jennifer got up too, and I told her to sit down on the bench. At this point, I was somewhat shaking. Probably from trying to reach the ring box in the side pocket of the truck earlier, as we made circles around town. I got down on one knee, said some things that came to my heart, about how much I loved her, and how much I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. And for her to accept me as her husband.
What a pivotal moment in both of our lives. Far from being easy, but our marriage has been blessed through those struggles and joys. Death and life. Sickness and health. Rich and poor. Better and even worse, no worst. We both made a decision, to be married, and that divorce is not an option. A vital decision to be made, before those moments of trial are encountered. And as we prepared our lives together, we decided we would be there for each other, as our final goal, was to help the other get to heaven.
There is none other in this world I would want for my wife. For the last 10+ years of marriage, we have grown and been sharpened by each other. Those days we can look back on, as landmark moments in our lives, are there to give us permission to share our story. And to be a witness to what God can do when you invite him to be important in your marriage. For this love between us, would not be the same, without the love of Christ.
Thank you for saying YES Jennifer.

steve

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You are a pretty cool husband. But you couldn't even write her a song... you just made it up? Ha. Hope your first day went well and no one stuffed you into a locker. I love and miss you brother.

8/28/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger Joyce B. said...

Hi Steve and Jen. Very nice post. Many blessings.

8/28/2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counteras of 11/11/05
Free Hit Counters